Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Feeding, Loosing, Finding, and Moving

Hive Report for the week of January
I love visiting my honeybees.  It sometimes takes a few days cuz I have other jobs that I work.  Monday I was scheduled to visit a few bee yards.  My dispatcher had other plans.  My dispatcher is married to the owner of mamabeehive-Sally.  I love it when they fight over me-not really fight.  In my new years resolution the bees were going to come first but Monday they came after I finished my deliveries.

So much has happened i have to start at the beginning if possible:

I visited Foy's yard on Saturday, 5th.  Nice day.  I had some honey frames from some hives that were dead outs.  And also we had made fondant frames from a couple of weeks ago that we wanted to go in some of the weaker hives.  I happy but small hives at Foy's and got a surprise.  Found three empty hives and our survivor hive was empty.  The 3 had built up nicely and were from mated queens and honeybees and brood frames i put together in September.  Anyway one of the hives had three mice in it alive and running around.  I closed it up and put it on the back of the truck.(see next hive for what I did with them)  the next had evidence of mice but just a few dead bees and evidence of robbing.  The third hive was just empty and no bees and some honey in it.  The fourth hive the survivor hive, was no bees and honey left in it.  So out of five one was left.  Would like to know where our bees got off to.
a mice nest-yukky
Foy's -- from 5 hives down to 1  that remaining hive got all the left over honey frames.  Update Tuesday, 8th I moved it to Biggers 

On Saturday I also went to Biggers(turkey farm): All those hives were good except for one.  I already knew two were dead.  So we lost one of the hives that we call survivor stock.  It was the second one from the left.  That hive had always been strong.  It had a small amount of dead bees not much honey and bees dead in cells.  The other two hives came from my house which had been at Springs.  All Strong hives.  
Biggers-from the left #2, #6, #7 are gone.
Biggers --from 8 to 5  earlier in november lost two from there.  the remaining hives were fed honey frames and fondant frames.  Tuesday put foy's hive in there

On Saturday i went to Tim's yard.  It got fed honey frames and fondant frames.  Looked good with good numbers.
Tim's yard -- two hives good condition good stores, no brood


Black's - from the left #2 gone
On Saturday I went to Black's yard.  Lost one there and had evidence of a mice living in one.  I cleaned that one up and moved it over just a bit.  They got fed too.  Talked to Arthur and he wants us to move them by March.  Will confirm the move before hand and he will put down a tarp.
Black's -- 5 hives down to 4, good stores

On Saturday I visited Uncle Ron's yard.  Looks good
Ron's -- one hive good stores and decent amount of bees.

On Monday I visited Lake Wylie Apiary.  Travis filmed it will be posted soon.  I fed these hives and they looked good.  
LWA -- 8 hives all good

On Tuesday, 8th.  I picked up empty supers from Foy's, and moved that one hive to Biggers.  Went to Springs and fed them all honey frames and fondant frames.  They all looked good and lots of bees.
Springs -- 4 hives, good stores

No comments:

Post a Comment